2019 European Organic Congress
Innovation and technology: How organic improves, inspires & delivers
The Congress aim was to fuel the discussion on the reform of the Common Agricultural Policy and how the latter can contribute to healthy farms, a healthy food sector, and a healthy society. The audience engaged in an analysis of the possible synergies between the EU, its Member States, regions and cities, with reference to the development of a new organic action plan.
Furthermore, we looked at the impact of emerging technologies, such as Internet of Things and Big Data, and at innovative solutions on the efficiency and evolution of the organic sector, by providing concrete examples and expertise of representatives from the agri-food sector.
Plenary: A new European organic action plan: Synergies between the EU, Member State, regional and city levels
- Ioana Dragos – North-West Regional Development Agency: Increasing SME Competitiveness and Sustainability in the Organic Sector (Regional Action Plans)
- Paul Holmbeck – Political Director, Organic Denmark: The Danish Model, Organic Policy as a Catalyst for Breakthroughs in Organic Farming and Market Development (and how the next EU action plan can help!)
Drafting the secondary legislation in an evolving global context
- Nicolas Verlet – Head of Unit, Organics, DG Agriculture and Rural Development, European Commission: Drafting the secondary legislation in an evolving global context
Interactive session: Emerging Technologies – what’s in it for organics? (Bring your smartphone with you)
- Rogier Schulte – Farming Systems Ecology, Wageningen University & Research
- Arni Janssen – Farm Technology, Wageningen University & Research
Intro to parallel sessions: Technology – friend or foe? Insights from the experts
- Oskar Marko – Researcher, BioSense – Emerging Technologies
- Mute Schimpf – Food Campaigner, Friends of the Earth Europe – Digital farming: what can it deliver for the organic sector?
Success story: How organic is transforming food and farming
- Flavie Tiret – Retail and Export Manager, Interbio Nouvelle-Aquitaine: Bio Sud Ouest France, a brand which helps to strengthen relationships amidst the regional organic sector